Cody advises Chinese and International companies on various legal matters, projects and business transactions in China. His experience includes the areas of corporate, M&A, real estate, construction, compliance etc. In his over 15 years' legal practice, Cody has extensive experience in the industries of real estate, construction, infrastructure, chemical and logistics.
Cody obtained his LLM degree at the Southwest University of Political Science & Law. Cody attended the Hong Kong Law Society legal profession exchange program in 2001. In 2002/2003, he was jointly selected by the PRC and British Ministry of Justice for the Lord Chancellor’s Training Scheme in London, during which he worked as a seconded foreign lawyer in a magic circle solicitor firm and a barrister chamber. Cody has practised PRC law in a major PRC firm in Chongqing and worked over a decade in a major European law firm’s Shanghai Office, where he headed the China real estate and construction practice.
Cody is a frequent commentator regarding Chinese law and practice in various magazines and forums. Cody is a native Chinese and is fluent in English.
Corporate, M&A and Commercial
- Advised a major German chemical company in its various China acquisition projects, legal due diligence and cross border share purchase agreement drafting/negotiation.
- Advised a number of European clients in the absorption merger between China subsidiaries.
- Advised a major European crane manufacturer in its acquisition of a Chinese company, legal due diligence and deal structuring advice.
- Advised on the post global merger China integration project for a major German logistics company merged with its US counterpart, including corporate restructuring matters of equity transfer, liquidation, absorption merger, as well as all logistics related China regulatory issues.
- Advised a major German logistics company in drafting and negotiating a multi-party joint venture contract in a landmark rail transport project from Chongqing to Europe.
- Advised a major German logistics company in its logistics service tender projects and various warehousing service agreements.
- Advised a number of European clients in their China subsidiary winding up projects.
- Advised a major European tool company in its various China corporate legal matters and commercial agreements.
- Provided legal services for a US bio pharmaceutical client in the setup and operation of its contractual joint venture with a Chinese JV partner.
- Provided legal services for a domestic aero plane client in the technology import and local manufacturing of aero plane manufacturing technology.
- Provided legal services for a European electrical appliance trading group in the business and assets restructuring of its China joint venture.
Real Estate and Construction
- Advised a number of European and international clients in their China greenfield investment projects, including land acquisition investment agreement, land listing, urban planning, plant engineering and construction.
- Advised a major Sino-German exhibition centre in Shanghai in various legal matters, including financing and property mortgage, merger of land plots, property swap etc.
- Advised a German heavy machinery equipment manufacturer in its China plant expropriation matter.
- Advised a German office and service apartment operator in Shanghai regarding its tenancy, property management and related regulatory issues, as well as its property purchase contract.
- Advised European clients in their China property transactions.
- Advised a German switchgear producer in its plant construction dispute with the general contractor.
- Provided legal services and arbitration representation for an Austrian animal feed additive producer in its China new plant dispute against the general contractor.
- Provided negotiation legal support for a Sino-Hong Kong pharmaceutical joint venture in the compensation negotiation with the local land reserve authority.
- Provided legal services for a Malaysian commercial property operator in its transfer of the property project company located in Jiangsu Province.
- Advised a German plastic machinery producer in a trade secret infringement related civil and criminal proceedings.
- Advised a Scandinavian heavy machinery producer in a sourcing team corruption related forensic investigation and criminal proceedings.
- Advised a major European tool company in its China subsidiary management corruption related forensic investigation and related legal actions.
- Assisted in compliance investigation and advised on related legal issues for a German switchgear producer regarding compliance issues of its senior management in the Shanghai subsidiary.
- Assisted in compliance investigation, handling related court proceedings and advised on the settlement with its supplier for a German heavy machinery supplier’s China purchasing team.